Monday, June 18, 2012

The universal language

"Music is the universal language" I have heard this many times and began to study and believe it with all my heart. Now that I am in Africa, where they speak a different language everywhere you go, a couple of things remain the same: Music is everywhere, and God speaks every language. One afternoon we were going to the local school to walk the kids home and as soon as we get there I hear the most beautiful voices that I have ever heard. Of coarse I start freaking out and want to figure out where this chorus of angels is coming from. I asked our friend and security guard Willie to go into the school with me and figure out what was going on.

When we walked in a teacher was there to greet us and when I explained to him that I was studying to be a music teacher in America he was more then eager to point me in the direction of the 'music room'. When I walked past about 200 little brown faces looked up at me with eyes filled with joy as they sang. The teacher came out to greet me and we discussed how I had heard the wonderful music from the street and just had to come check it out. He proceeded to invite me to come and observe his classes every afternoon and to help the students prepare for a music competition that is in 2 weeks, of coarse I said yes!

The next afternoon I went to the school and figured out that I had a whole lot to learn. They do not read the music staff (treble and bass cleft) that we do in America. The teacher said that that is taught in upper level college courses (which blows my mind). They read a type of music called solfa which I had never seen before, thankfully the first class I was sitting in on was explaining how to read and count the music. I was extremely nerdy and took lots on notes, then went home after and studied and I now understand how to read it!

It is so exciting to see God working in all parts of the world through something that I love so much! I am looking forward to working with the teacher and students in sharing Gods gift to us through our voices!

Please pray for the school and the teacher and the students that I will be working with, let them see past the color of my skin and into the music and love in my heart.

Thank you so much for reading!

Love,
Mattie

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like God lead you right where you needed to be---a whole new understanding to "listening" for God's call.

    Mama loves you!

    ReplyDelete