Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Age does not matter

Coming into this internship I was a little apprehensive because all the other girls were in college and I had literally just graduated from high school.

Well God has proven to me that age is not an issue when it comes to sharing His Word. Yesterday when I was at school waiting for music class to start and the same man who had noticed my tattoo started up a conversation across the table with all the teachers there to listen. He said "when you leave I want you to leave your bible with me." Well I explained to him that my bible was a gift and that I was extremely attached to it but that if he really needed a bible then I could try to find him one, turns out he already had one and just wanted mine because of all the sticky notes and highlighted verses. Well in Uganda tattoos are pretty rare so all the other teachers wanted to see too. After they saw I quoted the verse then pulled out my bible to show them the passage (Jeremiah 29:11). They were super receptive and passed the bible around flipping to different tabs that I had already made for quick access and then they began to discuss the gospel.

Well some of the teachers were asking me things like "how do you become a born again Christian in America?" and "what do you think heaven will be like?" How was I supposed to know the answers to these questions, I'm not in seminary, I'm not even in college yet! Well God literally put the words in my mouth and I have no idea what I said the answers to the questions they had were but they seemed like the right answer.

God totally put the words that he needed into my mouth and let the Holy Spirit work through me. After the questions were answered I told them my testimony and they sat quietly and listened, then asked some simple questions that didn't add up because of cultural differences. They had a really hard time understanding forgiveness and understanding the legal system, I did my best to explain but it was a pretty hard thing to do.

I am so excited that I had the opportunity to share with these teachers and even more excited when they were all done with the conversation and asked how old I was. When I replied with 18 they were in awe, how could such a young woman have so much to say about her God? Well good question! I have no idea what all happened in the conversation but it was definitely not me and all the Lord! It was super exciting and I know that is why God sent me to work in the school!

After music class was over some students stayed behind and began singing some of the praise and worship songs that we sing at church here on Sunday's so I was able to share "musical scripture" with them and they were so excited to hear me sing to the Lord with them! It was so exciting and I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to be there!

Please pray for the last week that the June interns have here in Gulu and pray for happiness and not too much sadness as we prepare to get home. All of the relationships made are seeds planted and pray that God sends some people to water those seeds now that they are starting to sprout!

2 comments:

  1. I think now you know your purpose on the trip. Lots of questions, lots of doubts, lots of anxiety, lots of feeling unequipped to do whatever it was God sent you there to do. You let Him take it and use you as a vessel to pour out the water for the seeds so they can grow---well done good and faithful servant. Mama loves you!

    ReplyDelete