Sunday, June 24, 2012

Meet Pamela Peace

The house we are staying at in Gulu is within walking distance of a village. We went out into the village to start making friends and at first I struggled, everyone else was making friends and beginning to poor into them with the Word. Two weeks went by and I still haven't made any friends. Some of the girl decided to walk their friends to school and home after so I thought I would tag along. Well as soon as I did, Pamela found me.

At first she introduced herself to me as Juliet, then someone else told me her name was Penelope, then she finally told me that her name was Pamela Peace, which is the best name for her. After walking in silence for two days we finally began to talk.

She is 15 years old and both of her parents are dead. She has one brother named Jasper who is 16 and they both live with her aunt and her 4 children. Pamela helps care for Brenda (11) Prose (8) Fiona (4) and Juliet (1 1/2) . She works wherever she can on the weekends to raise money to pay her school fees. She also has her own garden in which she plans on planting beans and maze when she can afford the seed. She gets up early each morning to get herself and her siblings ready for school and then walks to school with me.

On the way to school we list out all the things that God has blessed us with. Her favorite answers are energy, legs to walk, hands to work, ears to listen, and eyes to see. She is so excited about everything the Lord has given her and her smile proves it!

On Saturdays we work in the garden then read the bible. Last Saturday we spent two hours working on math and English. She wants so much to succeed in school but struggles. Whenever she has extra time she studies, but extra time is rare to find.

She has taught me so much just by spending time with her. Her joy radiates through her smile and she is so excited just to be alive. We have had such a good time getting to know each other and she has shown me so much! In my last week here I am so excited to spend as much time with her as I can. Girls will be girls and here is a picture of the two of us laughing at something funny Fiona said.

Please continue to pray for her as she works for the money for next terms school fees and pray that her joy radiates through everyone that she sees here in Gulu, she has so much going for her and just needs someone to remind her of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment